Date: 12/30/18 4:13 am
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Re: F.O.F. Marmet Locks: Mandarin Duck
Rich, Mike, and everyone,

Mandarin Ducks are not native to the U.S. and are normally only found in
zoos and waterfowl collections. Occasionally, however, 1 or 2 may escape
and become feral. Because these are not part of the native avifauna of the
U.S. they are not accepted as valid wild birds by eBird, except in Florida,
California, and a few other places where there are long-established wild
populations. The American Birding Association very conservative and
stringent guidelines on when such exotic birds are considered established,
at http://listing.aba.org/criteria-determining-establishment-exotics/, may
be helpful. The West Virginia birds, obviously, do not come close to
meeting those guidelines.

Mandarin Ducks do indeed hybridize with Wood Ducks, and eBird does now
include that option for reporting, so Rich, you might want to go back and
change the dabbling duck sp. on your checklist
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S25259218 accordingly. Apparently, they
may also hybridize with other species as well: Rich's checklist
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S29851605 shows a female with a huge bill
and a head profile not characteristic of either Wood Ducks or Mandarin
Ducks. Although those checklists do not list Mallards--wild or the white
domestic types--I suspect that species may be part of the bird's ancestry
since that would normally be the only other breeding species present in the
area in summers.

Terry

--
Terry Bronson