Date: 12/29/18 6:37 pm
From: Craig Tumer <craig...>
Subject: [obol] A second SWAMP SPARROW in The =?UTF-8?Q?Dalles? (and other Wasc? =?UTF-8?Q?o County birds)?Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 19:36:13 -0700
I spent my day in Wasco County, starting in Tygh Valley and birding to
Maupin, Rock Creek Reservoir, Pine Hollow Reservoir, Dufur, and The
Dalles.
Before heading back to Portland, I birded at a couple of spots along
the river in The Dalles. I was very surprised when a Swamp Sparrow
responded to my pishing by briefly teeing up in a weedy ticket along
the riverfront trail between Taylor Lake and the river. The spot I saw
this bird is just shy of a mile from the pond at the Columbia Gorge
Discovery Center where a Swamp Sparrow has been reported by many
observers for over a month. Joe Blowers reported the Discovery Center
SWSP to eBird yesterday morning, so either that bird has moved, or The
Dalles is currently hosting two Swamp Sparrows. If it hadn't been so
late in the day, I would have gone to the Discovery Center pond to see
if I could find a Swamp Sparrow there. I wasn't able to get a photo of
the Swamp Sparrow, but I have an audio file of its chip notes that
I'll include in my eBird checklist.

Other highlights for me included 34 Lewis's Woodpeckers scattered
along much of my route; 5 Rough-legged Hawks (southwest of Wamic and
along Dufur Gap Road); approximately 100 Tricolored Blackbirds and 1
Yellow-headed Blackbird among a large blackbird/starling /House
Sparrow flock along Oak Springs Road; and 2 Virginia Rails at the
small marsh next to the Bargeway Pub in The Dalles (the Sora would not
call while I was there).
Happy New YearCraig TumerPortland

POST: Send your post to <obol...> JOIN OR QUIT:
http://www.freelists.org/list/obol OBOL archives:
www.freelists.org/archive/obol Contact moderator:
<obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!