Date: 12/29/18 6:27 pm
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] South Carolina - Kiawah Island - Birding trip and photos 1
All - I just returned from our traditional family vacation on Kiawah Island, SC, which is just south east of Charleston. Besides enjoying Christmas with my family and their families, the trip to Kiawah includes a great deal of birding. Lucy, my daughter and partner in crime, and I tallied 107 species during the week. While none of the species seen were rarities, we did find some uncommon species. In particular, we found Wilson's Plover, Orange-crowned Warbler, and all of the wrens (Carolina, House, Winter, Marsh, and Sedge). We spent most of the time birding on Kiawah Island. Kiawah is a golf resort island, but it is a fantastic place to bird. The beach provides good access to shorebirds and terns/herons, and the lagoons, ponds, and marshers that dot the island provide habitat for wading birds and many of the passerines. It seemed like every Yellow-rumped Warbler in the world was on Kiawah - they were there in the 1000s. We did take a trip to Caw Caw Interpretive Cen
ter, which is a nature center with extensive trails at a former rice plantation. They have a wonderful boardwalk system through a cypress-tupelo swamp (very different from the Blue Ridge Mountains).

I have posted the first batch of photos on Flickr if you are interested. In this batch are: Wilson's Plover, Sedge Wren, Orange-crowned Warbler, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Pine Warbler, Clapper Rail, Blue-headed Vireo, and Black-crowned Night Heron.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology/

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept