Date: 12/29/18 3:45 pm
From: Christopher Loscalzo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] COA BIG JANUARY EVENT
Hello, CT Birders!

COA will be hosting a Big January event this year as we have done in recent
years. The basic idea is to get out and go birding during the month of
January to see how many different species you can find. We've tweaked it a
bit for this year. We will be acknowledging the birders who find the most
species in each county as well as in the state overall. We are also
welcoming young birders to participate. The full announcement/instructions
for the event is as follows:

COA 2019 "BIG JANUARY" EVENT

* A friendly competition to encourage birders to get out and go
birding during the cold month of January.
* A prize (a COA CT Warbler cap) will be awarded to the individuals
who report the most species in each county in CT in the month of January, as
well as within the state, overall.
* All species seen or heard should be observed on public land, your
own property, or private property with permission.
* For those CT birders who use ebird, simply submit checklists to
ebird for all of the birds you see in the month of January. We will utilize
the ebird records at the end of the month to determine which individuals
have recorded the most species in each county in CT.
* For those CT birders who do not use ebird, please keep a record of
where and when you first observe each species in the month of January and
forward the results at the end of the month to the email address below.
* Young birders (those 17 years of age or less) are encouraged to
participate in this event. If you are in this age range, please let us know
so that we can respond accordingly. We will have a special prize for the
most accomplished participant in this group.
* Deadline for submission is Sunday, Feb. 3, 2019 at 11:59 pm. Send
them to: Chris Loscalzo at <mailto:<closcalz...>
<closcalz...>
* A report on the results will be posted shortly thereafter on the CT
birds list-serve and in an article on the COA website
* Digital photos of the birds you have observed are welcome. Credit
will be given for any photos used in the summary report.
* Advanced registration is NOT necessary.
* Since this event is based on the honor system, please make every
effort to be accurate and certain of your identifications.
* Have fun birding in January!

Thanks.

Good birding and Happy New Year to all.

Chris Loscalzo,