Date: 12/29/18 2:59 pm
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] Lincoln's Sparrow + Hermit Thrush - Belated report from west Arapahoe
On Thursday (12/27), I conducted my third annual local winter count,
birding the northeast quadrant of my local home circle. I usually do this
before the CBC's start, to get into the spirit of the counting season. But
personal obligations and a cold kept me from doing that this year.

The northeast quadrant of my home circle covers the High Line Canal Trail
in Greenwood and Cherry Hills Villages (Arapahoe). Marjorie Perry Nature
Preserve, Blackmer Lake, and Dahlia Hollow Park are the hottest of the hot
spots within this portion. Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens and Holly Park in
Centennial are also in it. Happily, they're two of my favorite bad birding
spots.

This year, I logged 40 species & about 2,200 birds, one species and a 1,000
birds off of last year's pace. (The extra 1,000 birds last year were all
Canada & Cackling Geese. Numbers were lower this year. Open water was far
less too.) Highlights this year included a Hermit Thrush, in the usual spot
at Dahlia Hollow Park, and a rather late Lincoln's Sparrow among juncos,
towhees, and Song Sparrows at a residential feeder at Marjorie Perry Nature
Preserve. A Merlin with prey (lightpost in Greenwood Village) and a Greater
White-fronted Goose at Westlands Park were other highlights. I've posted a
more complete account here
<https://denverwilds.wordpress.com/2018/12/29/localwintercount2018/>.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO