Date: 12/29/18 2:38 pm
From: Caleb Centanni <caleb...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Ruffed Grouse and the Dallas CBC
Thanks for the info Bill, good to learn something new.

Very good weather was perhaps the most important factor in the high count.
While typically we rely on broad coverage to bring one or two of many birds
from a single sector, a large proportion of our missable birds were found
in multiple sectors Thursday, in some cases multiples of them. Low counts
of forest birds and White-throated Sparrows in most areas were the main
exception.

Two years ago we had daylong dense fog, and this lowered our number to 111.
I don't think I deserve too much credit for improving the count until we
produce good results with significant rain. It's a day that will come, and
I'm not looking forward to it. Point is-- one of the main reasons for the
great success of the last two counts has been decent weather. Good coverage
this year helped push us the extra few species up.

If only we still had Spotted Owls in the circle. At least we still get
Horned Larks, for now.

Best wishes,
Caleb

Join us on Facebook!