Date: 12/29/18 2:12 pm
From: Bill Tice <ticebill7...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Ruffed Grouse and the Dallas CBC
Regarding sooty grouse, the most likely explanation for the lack of records is that this species tends to a reverse type of migration in that they ascend to higher elevations in winter rather than coming down to the valleys.

The other coast range species are likely more active on a sunny day which are probably more the exception. Just think, one CBC count of bad weather spoils everything. I remember years when breaking 100 was considered a hurdle to be overcome. I seem to remember reaching 107 and rejoicing cuz a new record was set.

I remember hearing spotted owls at camp Killowan, certainly a thing of the past.

Fun stuff.

Bill Tice. Birding, the best excuse for getting outdoors, and, for avoiding chores.

> On Dec 29, 2018, at 2:00 PM, Caleb Centanni <caleb...> wrote:
>
> Hi Brandon, Bill, Roy, Roger, and all,
>
> Ruffed Grouse has been found one of my three years compiling the count. Last year, Harold Reeve found two in a drainage on one of the forest service roads accessible from Robb Mill Rd. I imagine that in the past, when gating was less consistent on the coast range land, this species and the other coast range specifics were much more of a sure thing, although the numbers suggest this was never the case for Pygmy Owl. Interesting is the complete lack of Sooty Grouse records in the records. I almost wonder if they were accidentally purged with the split of Blue Grouse. Linda Fink heard a Sooty this year in the circle during early December.
>
> Interesting to hear about different sector arrangements over time. All of our true Coast Range habitat is now in sectors 1, 6, and 8. If anyone has old maps of the sector arrangements, I'd love to see them.
>
> As for current Coast Range access, we are able to reach much of the habitat in theory, but much of it is distant and would require mountain biking to reach on a short winter's day. The Dallas city reservoir is the same way. Is the girl scout camp Camp Kilowan? If so, we had access this year, but I believe we didn't have time to hike the whole thing.
>
> I wonder if it is a psychological effect of a sunny and largely fogless day to pay more attention to the raptors and water birds than the close-in forest passerines. Despite our record species count, I'm looking at low numbers of many of our forest species (CB Chickadee, Varied Thrush, Pacific Wren).
>
> Thanks to all for an interesting discussion. To anyone especially interested in these species--we will be pushing to get more hikers and mountain bikers next year. Watch for emails next fall.
>
> Best wishes and good birding to all,
>
> Caleb Centanni

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>