Date: 12/29/18 2:01 pm
From: Caleb Centanni <caleb...>
Subject: [obol] Ruffed Grouse and the Dallas CBC
Hi Brandon, Bill, Roy, Roger, and all,

Ruffed Grouse has been found one of my three years compiling the count.
Last year, Harold Reeve found two in a drainage on one of the forest
service roads accessible from Robb Mill Rd. I imagine that in the past,
when gating was less consistent on the coast range land, this species and
the other coast range specifics were much more of a sure thing, although
the numbers suggest this was never the case for Pygmy Owl. Interesting is
the complete lack of Sooty Grouse records in the records. I almost wonder
if they were accidentally purged with the split of Blue Grouse. Linda Fink
heard a Sooty this year in the circle during early December.

Interesting to hear about different sector arrangements over time. All of
our true Coast Range habitat is now in sectors 1, 6, and 8. If anyone has
old maps of the sector arrangements, I'd love to see them.

As for current Coast Range access, we are able to reach much of the habitat
in theory, but much of it is distant and would require mountain biking to
reach on a short winter's day. The Dallas city reservoir is the same way.
Is the girl scout camp Camp Kilowan? If so, we had access this year, but I
believe we didn't have time to hike the whole thing.

I wonder if it is a psychological effect of a sunny and largely fogless day
to pay more attention to the raptors and water birds than the close-in
forest passerines. Despite our record species count, I'm looking at low
numbers of many of our forest species (CB Chickadee, Varied Thrush, Pacific
Wren).

Thanks to all for an interesting discussion. To anyone especially
interested in these species--we will be pushing to get more hikers and
mountain bikers next year. Watch for emails next fall.

Best wishes and good birding to all,

Caleb Centanni

Join us on Facebook!