Date: 12/29/18 9:06 am
From: Gary Richards <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender grcolts for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Bentsen-RGV SP
Christy and I birded Bentsen RGV State Park yesterday, Dec. 28, 2018.

Here is the list of what we documented:

Plain Chachalaca
Pied-billed Grebe
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Harris's Hawk
Gray Hawk
Crested Caracara
Sandhill Crane
Spotted Sandpiper
Mourning Dove
Inca Dove
Common Ground-Dove
Ruddy Ground-Dove
White-tipped Dove
Buff-bellied Hummingbird
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Golden-fronted Woodpecker
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Black Phoebe
Eastern Phoebe
Couch's Kingbird
White-eyed Vireo
Green Jay
Black-crested Titmouse
House Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Northern Mockingbird
Long-billed Thrasher
Orange-crowned Warbler
Olive Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Altamira Oriole
American Goldfinch
Blue Gray Gnatcatcher

Number of Species: 37

The ruddy ground dove was seen on the old RV camping loop. We had a chance to observe them close up…neither of us had ever seen a ruddy ground dove before. There were several common ground doves too. According to my Pertersen’s Bird Guide, it may have been what he called a western ruddy ground dove as it did not have the rusty color. We double checked the markings on the bird’s wing comparing it to the common ground dove. We are pretty sure, even though they are very rare in the park they were ruddy ground doves.
Has anyone else who has birded Bentsen seen these birds there? I just want to make sure we were not viewing some funky marked common ground dove.

Also, spotted a northern harrier just outside the park.

Cheers.

Gary RichardsEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!