Date: 12/28/18 10:38 pm
From: Roger Freeman <freemanbecard...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Dallas CBC-Preliminary results
I think I recall getting Ruffed Grouse and Gray Jay on the Dallas count in
1983 or 1984 ... I think it was sector 10? It was a remote small sector
on the edge with timber. Maybe the sector lines have been re-arranged
now. Roy Gerig was the compiler if I recall.
I vividly remember doing the count though, and having the nice breakfast in
Rickreal.
Roger Freeman
Silverton OR

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 10:22 PM Brandon Wagner <bmwboarder...>
wrote:

> I find it interesting that Ruffed Grouse have been found for roughly half
> of the Dallas counts. They certainly aren't easy to find, that is one of
> the few regular birds I have yet to find in Polk county, let alone the
> Dallas circle. I wonder where they have been seen in the past? Does
> anyone who participated in older Dallas CBC counts remember accurately
> where Ruffed Grouse were seen?
>
> I covered some ground in the mountains for the Dallas CBC, but looking at
> a map, I estimate 10% of the circle never had anyone step foot in it due to
> its remoteness. Perhaps that area had more coverage, or was even less
> gated off in the past, which could explain the recent lack of Ruffed Grouse
> and Pygmy Owls.
>
> For this Dallas CBC, I hiked up to an area of old growth and called for
> owls (no luck on Pygmy or Spotted), and as I was hiking out, a couple of
> locals chatted with me and they called that patch the "Mini Valley of the
> Giants". That was fun to hear, it is a beautiful patch of huge trees that
> are part of the Siuslaw National Forest, just not an overly large area. I
> have had Pygmy Owls there in the past, but not this year.
>
> If anyone would like to do some hiking or even mountain biking for the
> Dallas CBC next year, we are hoping to explore the area better and cover it
> better for 2019.
>
> Cheers!
> Brandon Wagner
> Independence

> www.avg.com
> <#m_8381771965455083630_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Join us on Facebook!