Date: 12/28/18 5:17 pm
From: Bob Friedrichs <bird.fried...>
Subject: [texbirds] Jackson Calhoun Counties CBC on 12/27
Texbirds:

Yesterday, we conducted the third running of the Jackson Calhoun Counties
CBC. After a bit of a wet start, skies dried and then cleared by about
10am. Light winds throughout the day contributed to good birding
conditions. We found many of our target species and finished with 192
species unofficially. This is our best showing so far.

Some of the better birds found on the CBC included Groove-billed Ani,
Burrowing Owl, Nighthawk sp., Painted Bunting and Lesser Goldfinch. Notable
misses included Black-necked Stilt, Black Skimmer, Tree Swallow,
Ash-throated Flycatcher and Indigo Bunting. We had a very good sparrow day
with 16 species reported and managed a clean sweep on owls with 6 species.

Many thanks to our 31 counters and section leaders who worked hard to find
many of our target species and some nice specialty birds. Thanks to our
primary sponsor, Formosa Plastics; they paid for a delicious BBQ dinner and
more importantly allow us access to their significant landholding in the
CBC circle. We continue to improve access to and coverage of the private
property in our circle. Please consider joining for this special count on
December 27, 2019.

Happy New Year and Good Birding!
Bob Friedrichs
Palacios