Date: 12/28/18 2:22 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Dallas CBC-Preliminary results
Caleb neglects to mention that the three highest counts, as I recall, have been under his leadership. Things happen, but not by accident. Well done !

I wonder why Pygmy-Owl is so hard in that circle. Not enough access to major forested areas in the Coast Range?

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/book/edge-of-awe

> On Dec 28, 2018, at 1:47 PM, Caleb Centanni <caleb...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Observers on yesterday's Dallas Christmas Bird Count enjoyed a beautiful, mostly sunny and virtually never rainy day in the field. We had an amazing day for raptors, recording 13 diurnal raptor species (plus 4 owls and Northern Shrike, if you count it), and recorded a number of rare or unusual species for the count. Improved Coverage, pleasant weather, and good observers led to a new all-time record species count of 121! Our previous was 116. I haven't finished all the totals yet, so high and low counts will have to wait, but here are the most surprising species we recorded yesterday:
>
> 1 NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD (2 previous occurences) by Isaac Denzer and Kai Frueh across from the south end of Livermore Rd at Baskett Slough NWR
> 1 COMMON YELLOWTHROAT (1) by Hendrik Herlyn, Isaac Denzer, and Kai Frueh at Baskett Slough. Was a count first last year.
> 1 NORTHERN GOSHAWK (3) by Tim Johnson and Barbara Dolan near Gerlinger County Park west of Falls City.
> 1 Golden Eagle (10) by Clay Crofton south of Baskett Slough
> 1 Greater Yellowlegs (8)
> 1 Say's Phoebe (9)
> 4 Swamp Sparrow (9), tied for the all-time high
> 2 Prairie Falcon (15)
> 31 Least Sandpiper (15)
> 3 Snow Geese (19)
> 2 Herring Gull (16)
> 3 Northern Saw-whet Owl (9), a record high count for the species, likely due to typically modest owling coverage.
>
> And here are our most surprising misses:
>
> Purple Finch (seen on 43 of 48 previous counts), not for a lack of trying
> Pileated Woodpecker (33)
> White-tailed Kite (25), though they seem to be absent in the circle completely in the last few years.
> Ruffed Grouse (23), though these are typically hard to find
> Mountain Quail (19)
> Gray Jay (16)
>
> Barred Owl (4) and Pygmy-Owl (7) are almost certainly present in the circle, but often go unrecorded due to modest owling coverage.
>
> It was a great day--we recorded a very high percentage of the species likely in the circle, introduced some enthusiastic new people to the count, and had a great time. Thanks to all our observers for making it a count to remember.
>
> Best wishes to all! Good birding, and a happy CBC season,
> Caleb Centanni, compiler

Join us on Facebook!