Date: 12/28/18 1:48 pm
From: Caleb Centanni <caleb...>
Subject: [obol] Dallas CBC-Preliminary results
Hi all,

Observers on yesterday's Dallas Christmas Bird Count enjoyed a beautiful,
mostly sunny and virtually never rainy day in the field. We had an amazing
day for raptors, recording 13 diurnal raptor species (plus 4 owls and
Northern Shrike, if you count it), and recorded a number of rare or unusual
species for the count. Improved Coverage, pleasant weather, and good
observers led to a new all-time record species count of 121! Our previous
was 116. I haven't finished all the totals yet, so high and low counts will
have to wait, but here are the most surprising species we recorded
yesterday:

1 NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD (2 previous occurences) by Isaac Denzer and Kai
Frueh across from the south end of Livermore Rd at Baskett Slough NWR
1 COMMON YELLOWTHROAT (1) by Hendrik Herlyn, Isaac Denzer, and Kai Frueh at
Baskett Slough. Was a count first last year.
1 NORTHERN GOSHAWK (3) by Tim Johnson and Barbara Dolan near Gerlinger
County Park west of Falls City.
1 Golden Eagle (10) by Clay Crofton south of Baskett Slough
1 Greater Yellowlegs (8)
1 Say's Phoebe (9)
4 Swamp Sparrow (9), tied for the all-time high
2 Prairie Falcon (15)
31 Least Sandpiper (15)
3 Snow Geese (19)
2 Herring Gull (16)
3 Northern Saw-whet Owl (9), a record high count for the species, likely
due to typically modest owling coverage.

And here are our most surprising misses:

Purple Finch (seen on 43 of 48 previous counts), not for a lack of trying
Pileated Woodpecker (33)
White-tailed Kite (25), though they seem to be absent in the circle
completely in the last few years.
Ruffed Grouse (23), though these are typically hard to find
Mountain Quail (19)
Gray Jay (16)

Barred Owl (4) and Pygmy-Owl (7) are almost certainly present in the
circle, but often go unrecorded due to modest owling coverage.

It was a great day--we recorded a very high percentage of the species
likely in the circle, introduced some enthusiastic new people to the count,
and had a great time. Thanks to all our observers for making it a count to
remember.

Best wishes to all! Good birding, and a happy CBC season,
Caleb Centanni, compiler

Join us on Facebook!