Date: 12/28/18 11:46 am
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: CBC sharing, protocol? no bird mentioned.
We live and bird in a real time world where many birders expect that unusual birds get posted immediately and get upset when they aren’t. Here we are with an instance when timely posting has created an issue.

I can only presume that Joel shared the eBird alert to the Mid-Valley listserv in a good faith effort to ‘get the word out.’ Should he
be expected to consider all possible emotional responses before sharing information that is already out there in a public forum. These checklist were by the way submitted to eBird by those who apparently wanted to have a CBC countdown surprise?

Those who were entering checklists in real time are certainly tech savvy enough to understand that once submitted their checklists are in the public domain. Further, was Joel even aware that this checklist was from a CBC and not just a typical day in the field?

I think those making a good faith effort to share accurate information should always get the benefit of the doubt. If you wish to maintain a vail of secrecy over a sighting, that responsibility is yours. The rest of the community shouldn’t bear the burden of trying to figure out how you
might react if your already public checklist is re-shared.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!