Date: 12/28/18 11:23 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Done In By The Weather at Stony Ford & Cermak Woods Friday 12-28-18
Hello Bird People,

Since I was at a loss as to what to do today I decided to explore some
places I'd never been to before. Doug S reported on 2 places I'd never
heard of but the important part was that one of the birds he found was
a Carolina Wren which I have failed to find all year within Cook
County. As the 2 places were fairly close to Bemis Woods where I have
been several times I figured I could find the 2 new places. And with
my Region 5 Cook County Forest Preserve map I did find them although
not without a struggle finding Stony Ford which you access from where
Joliet Rd crosses the river at about 43rd St. I had overshot this
place on 47th St & had to go back. Cermak Woods is easier to find as
it's right off of Ogden (Rt 34).

Stony Ford Boat Launch (8:15-9:30 a.m.)

First I walked along the river on sort of a trail but yesterday's rain
has made it very muddy & walking was not easy. I also walked along the
bike path which was much easier walking & had all the birds seen by
the river except for the one which was my best bird of the day.

Canada Geese (15 flying by & in the river)
Mallard (14 in the river)
Common Goldeneye (2-M & 5-F in the river)
Downy Woodpecker (1)
Chickadee (4)
W.B. Nuthatch (3)
Robins (6)
Cardinal (5)
FOX SPARROW (1, along the muddy river path)
Junco (10)

And of course as has happened all year I failed to see or even hear
the Carolina Wren.
As the year is about over I have to admit I won't get that one on my
yearly Cook Co list.

Cermak Woods (9:50-10:20 a.m.)

Here I was done in by the weather as I no sooner arrived when the rain
changed to snow which I could hardly see through. Then a break
followed by rain so I really didn't get a chance to cover this place.
Only had 7 species before I gave up due to the rain.

Made a quick stop at the Wolf Rd Prairie although I didn't know if the
Shrike was still being seen there. Couldn't find it in about 10 min
but then the rain picked up again & I gave up & went to Taco Bell for
lunch. Sad to say but lunch was probably the highlight of the day
except for finding the Fox Sparrow. But when you go birding every day
you will have bad days as well as good days no doubt about that. At
least I got to explore 2 new places today.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Stony Ford Fox Sparrow & I guess Runner-Up to
the Goldeneye.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Oklahoma seen in Park Ridge on
the way home.

Al Stokie
Struggling in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>