Date: 12/27/18 6:35 pm
From: Dar Tiede (birding) <woodwarbler49...>
Subject: [wisb] Appleton WI CBC
This first Appleton count was conducted in 1939, tallying 812 birds of 22 species. This year’s count tallied 14,447 birds of 66 species plus an additional two for count week only. I am missing records from 1946 and 1958 – not sure if a count was conducted in those years (?). If anyone has Appleton results from those two years, please let me know! Between 1948 and 1950 there were two counts conducted each year by different (competing?) groups.
A new species was added to the cumulative list for count day history this year – black scoter (#151). This is the first scoter ever tallied on an Appleton CBC count day. White-winged scoter (2016) and surf scoter(1992, 2016) have previously been found in count period only.

The unusual weather pattern leading up to count day (December 15) resulted in a lack of snow cover and extensive open water. The birds remained well dispersed and were more challenging to locate and count. The individual tally of 14,447 birds was our lowest total since 2008. We missed hooded merganser for the first time since 1989 and snow bunting for only the third time in the past 30 years. At the same time, the count of 10 great blue herons was a new record high eclipsing the previous mark of 4 (1990, 2006). Pied-billed grebe was recorded for only the eighth time.

Dar Tiede
Appleton

I know some of you do not like the 4-letter codes, but I do not like to type and I suspect not many people will peruse the full list anyway.

SNGO 1
CAGO 6,528
AWPE 5
TRUS 2