Date: 12/27/18 3:51 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Hart Mountain CBC addenda and informal Adel CBC results
Looks like we had three more species for the Hart Mtn after the last (and only) yard list came in: California Quail, Northern Flicker, and American Goldfinch.

The same yard yielded another Bewick's Wren to bring the total for the count to 3. To put that in perspective: Last winter only two counts in Oregon east of the Cascades yielded more than two Bewick's Wrens: Klamath Falls with 10 and Union County with a jaw-dropping total of 73. If you omit those two counts, the total for the other 19 CBCs in that region was just 7 Bewick's Wrens.

Also, on Dec 20th just for fun, a few of us (Pat Grediagin, Jeff Picton, Martha and I) noted birds while we made modest detours through the old Adel CBC circle, on our way to Sheldon NWR. Sightings in a total of about 2.5 hours of effort (almost entirely birding by car) included:

Swan sp. 50+ on Crump Lake (most likely Tundra Swans)
Bald Eagle 1 adult
Northern Harrier 5
Rough-legged Hawk 3
Golden Eagle 1 imm
American Kestrel 4
Northern Flicker 3
Northern Shrike 1
Loggerhead Shrike 1
Black-billed Magpie 18
Common Raven 16
American Dipper 1 on Deep Creek west of Adel
Townsend's Solitaire 4
American Robin 60
Song Sparrow 2
Oregon Junco 1

The Dipper was found thanks to a nail that caused Pat and Jeff to make a quick detour over Warner Pass to Lakeview for tire repair.

Opportunities for brush birds were limited by a bridge construction project in downtown Adel and a crack-sealing project along Coleman Valley Rd.

A stop to call for Juniper Titmouse on the way home along Deep Creek west of Adel on 22 Dec yielded "count-week" Mountain Chickadee, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Steller Jay, and a small flock of Red Crossbills, but no titmice. We missed scrub-jays entirely.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!