Date: 12/27/18 2:37 pm
From: Nathaniel Nye <nathaniel.nye...>
Subject: [texbirds] Great Kiskadee - Castroville Regional Park, 27 Dec
Hello,

This morning I went birding in Castroville (west of San Antonio) with my
11-yr old daughter Natalie, as well as my good friend Brady and his son
Matt (9).

Highlight was definitely a very cooperative and showy Great Kiskadee at the
back of the smaller (northernmost) pond at the sewage treatment facility.
My ebird list includes some photos, taken with my phone thru my
binoculars. There was also a Belted and Green Kingfisher at this same
pond.

Good birding,
Nate
San Antonio, TX

Castroville Regional Pk (HOTE 113), Medina, Texas, US
Dec 27, 2018 8:38 AM - 10:38 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
29 species

Least Grebe 1
Pied-billed Grebe 6
American Coot 4
Neotropic Cormorant 3
Great Blue Heron 1
Great Egret 1
Black-crowned Night-Heron 2
Black Vulture X
Turkey Vulture X
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Green Kingfisher 1
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 1
Crested Caracara 1
Eastern Phoebe X
Great Kiskadee 1 Flew up to the top of a 20' tall deciduous tree, very
near where the stream empties into the back of the smaller (northern-most)
pond at the Castroville Sewage Treatment Pond (adjacent to Castroville
Regional Park), where it sat quite willingly for about 2 minutes before
flying to a nearby thicket of mesquite and brush where it disappeared. I
was able to get a few photos with my phone through my 12x42 binoculars.
Loggerhead Shrike X
Common Raven 1
Carolina Chickadee 3
Bewick's Wren 1