Date: 12/27/18 6:59 am
From: douglas stotz <dfstotz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cermak Woods, Stony Ford on 26 December
Yesterday morning I birded Cermak Woods and the Stony Ford section of
Ottawa Trail Woods. These two forest preserves are along the west side of
the DesPlaines River in Cook Co. Cermak Woods has an entrance on Ogden,
while you enter Stony Ford off of 43rd. nearest major road is Harlem to the
east. Both are underbirded. 28 of the 33 e-bird checklists at Cermak Woods
are mine, while at Stony Ford, John Duran birded it regularly in 2006-7,
but there is only 1 checklist in e-bird since, until two visits by me this
fall.
I spent about an hour at each preserve, getting 20 species at Stony
Ford and 18 at Cermak Woods. Stony Ford was much birdier, I think mainly
becuase there are several sets of feeders at the houses immediately west of
the preserve. However Cermak Woods had more interesting highlights.
Highlights at Stony Ford were a Carolina Wren and my first Yellow-rumped
Warbler this December. At Cermak Woods, I had 2 Common Redpolls, a Winter
Wren and most surprisingly a flock of 6 Monk Parakeets. These are the
first Monk Parakeets I've seen away from the Lakefront and Calumet area
since 2012. They have become a lot patchier away from lakefront and
Calumet (where they have also declined). There are birds in northern
DuPage Co. and regularly around Oak Park from what I can tell with very
scattered records elsewhere over the last couple of years.

Doug Stotz

--
Douglas Stotz
Conservation Ecologist/Ornithologist