Date: 12/26/18 1:34 pm
From: David Govatski <david.govatski...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Littleton CBC Results Sunday 23 December 2018
The 48th Annual Littleton Christmas Bird Count was held on Sunday 23 December 2018. We had 12 participants and we tallied 41 species and 1029 total birds. This amount is slightly above average for the past thirty years. There was very little natural food such as spruce or pine cones present in the forest. The snow cover was minimal after two days of rain and warm temperatures. The rivers were running fast and high after the rain and we saw only one hooded merganser for waterfowl. We had a starting low temperature of 12 and a high of 28 degrees F.

We had one new species, a fox sparrow coming to a feeder in Littleton and a 2nd ever Baltimore oriole also coming to a feeder in Littleton. A barred owl was seen with a full moon behind it. We had only one count week bird and that was a northern goshawk. We missed black-backed woodpecker at the Trudeau Road Wetlands although we did see one last Wednesday there. Other highlights included:
Common Raven 45
Brown Creeper 9
Pine Grosbeaks 51
Evening Grosbeaks 84
Pine Siskin 30
Common Redpoll 2
Purple Finch 4

I would like to thank all the participants for making it a fun event. If anyone would like a complete summary please let me know off line.

David Govatski
Jefferson, N. H.