Date: 12/26/18 11:26 am
From: a w <antpitta6...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET No sightings - thank you
Alex, Jan, Nancy, Andy, Doug, Itan - Thank you for your responses to my taxonomy question. Very thoughtful and interesting. Alex’s response points to a really fascinating web link:

I believe that Merula was the Latin name for the American Robin back in the late 1880s. Take a look at "The History of North American Bird names in the American Ornithologists' Union Checklists, 1886-2000" at http://darwiniana.org/zoo/AOUmenu.htm

Go to the Latin Index of Genera and scroll down to Merula.

This is a very useful resource for old bird names. I hope this helps.

Join us on Facebook!