Date: 12/26/18 11:06 am
From: robirdman <robirdman...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Goshawk at Montrose?
Did anyone record sighting one at Montrose on 11/14/2018?

In my video compilation of immature Cooper's Hawks at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLKiczA6gA

it was pointed out to me on a nature FB site, that the bird(s) at 0:28
-1:06 and 1:06-1:19 are both of immature Goshawk.

This did not occur to me at the time.  The only one I ever saw before
and got shots of was at Lincoln Park Zoo 11/20/2007.

I was not very close, as I was shooting, from the revetment, to the
trees across the field, and didn't detect it as extra large. And when
the bird took off, as another birder had walked past/under,.  I am not
sure if he even noticed.  I had set the camera to record, and was
attending to something when it flushed, and would later trim out about
30" of hawk-less branches.  I knew when I saw that it was gone, that I
would have the takeoff.

The back view, when viewed later on the computer did impress me as
unusual, but still didn't register as another species.

Rob Curtis

Chicago

www.theearlybirder.com

Posted by: robirdman <robirdman...>