Date: 12/26/18 10:48 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons From Forest Way Dr, Techny Basin & Techny North Wed 12-26-18
Hello Bird People,

Figured that with all the 40 degree days we've had lately there should
some open water at Skokie Lagoons along Forest Way Drive. Figured
wrong I'm afraid! There were only 2 very small open water areas from
Dundee Rd to Willow Rd but the Mallards at least made use of the
openings.
At Techny North again it looks frozen from the parking lot but if you
walk north about 200 yards you'll find open water & lots more
Mallards. Same is true for Techny Basin proper & even more Mallards.
Here are my short lists:

Skokie Lagoons From Forest Way Drive (8:40-9:50 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (3)
Canada Geese (8 on the lawns)
Mallard (59)
GADWALL (1-PR)
COMMON GOLDENEYE (1-F)
Red Tailed Hawk (2)
Herring Gull (1 fly-by)
Mourning Dove (4)
Red Bellied & Downy Woodpeckers (1 each)
Blue Jay (2)
W.B. Nuthatch (1)
Robins (4)
SONG SPARROW (1)

Techny Basin North Of Willow Rd (10-10:15 a.m.)

Canada Geese (4 on the lawns)
Mallard (123)
GREEN WINGED TEAL (1 continuing)
GADWALL (2-M)
Red Tailed Hawk (1)
Ring Billed (4) & Herring (2) Gulls

Techny Basin Proper (10:25-11:10 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (3)
Canada Geese (32 fly-bys)
Mallard (206)
(The small white duck was still present as it has been all year at
both Techny locations)
BUFFLEHEAD (1-F)
Herring Gull (1 fly-by)
COOPER'S HAWK (1)
Heard only were Red Bellied Woodpecker, W.B. Nuthatch & Goldfinch

The most common species of the day was Mallard with over 400 seen at
all 3 locations.
Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the continuing Green Winged Teal at Techny North &
Runner-Up can be the Cooper's Hawk at Techny Basin Proper.

Al Stokie
Birding locally in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: