Date: 12/25/18 2:41 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk

This is the very tardy Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk report.  I can safely claim that Christmas events delayed me until this afternoon.  While we are at it, the Friends of Huntley Meadows  wish to extend wishes of a Happy Christmas to all our birding friends throughout Virginia and beyond. Our Christmas Eve walk produced 44 species, with large groups of American Crows and   7 Rusty Blackbirds as noteworthy sightings.  We wish to thank Barbara  and John Perry for hosting our apres birding brunch in their lovely home.

Canada Goose  145
Northern Shoveler  5
Gadwall  4
Mallard (Domestic type)  75
American Black Duck  4
Northern Pintail  12
Green-winged Teal  5
Hooded Merganser  4
Wild Turkey  7
Ring-billed Gull  45
Great Blue Heron  2
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  2
Bald Eagle  3
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Barred Owl  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  6
Downy Woodpecker  4
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  3
Merlin  1
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  137
Fish Crow  44
Carolina Chickadee  6
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Brown Creeper  1
Carolina Wren  3
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  3
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  4
Gray Catbird  1
American Goldfinch  3
Dark-eyed Junco  2
White-throated Sparrow  5
Song Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  1
Red-winged Blackbird  2
Rusty Blackbird  7
Northern Cardinal  6

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from October through April), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Nancy VehrsFriends of Huntley Meadows Park