Date: 12/25/18 6:08 am
From: Alex Bloss <alex_bloss13...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET No sighting - taxonomy question
Dear Mr. Welby,

I believe that was the Latin name for the American Robin back in the late 1880s. Take a look at "The History of North American Bird names in the American Ornithologists' Union Checklists, 1886-2000" at http://darwiniana.org/zoo/AOUmenu.htm

Go to the Latin Index of Genera and scroll down to Merula.

This is a very useful resource for old bird names. I hope this helps.

Alex Bloss

Chicago