Date: 12/24/18 10:45 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Wallowa County foray
I drove to Wallowa County on Sat, Dec 22. The roads were fine all the way.

I participated in the Wallowa County CBC on Sun, Dec 23. The roads were
clear, the sky overcast. We got a negligible flurry of white stuff late in
the afternoon. I heard reports of Snow Buntings and Rosy Finches outside
the count circle before the count, but I don’t know if any were seen in the
circle on count day. There was a report of Am Tree Sparrows on Elk Mt Rd.
and Gray Partridge east of Joseph.

My team did Crow Creek Rd, Replinger Rd. and the Prairie Creek sector. We
found lots of raptors. Best prize was two FERRUGINOUS HAWKS. We also
tallied 1 Cooper’s Hawk, 10 Bald Eagles, 4 Golden eagles, 11 N Harriers, 62
Red-tails, 12 Rough-legs, 2 Kestrels, 3 Prairie Falcons. 2 Gt H Owls, 55
Magpies, 80 Ravens. No redpolls, shrikes, pine grosbeaks, etc.

Overnight Enterprise got ½ - ¾ inch of snow. The plows were out early and
by the time I got going at 8:20 I found the loop of Golf Course, School
Flat, and Leap Ln all plowed, and the sky was a clear blue dome. At the
point where Golf Course takes a sharp dip 45.473690,-117.302589 I found a
flock of 40 Horned Larks and 10 LAPLAND LONGSPURS. The only other birds I
found were 2 adult bald eagles and 2 harriers.

Lots and lots of Mt Ash berries – and robins -- all over Enterprise, but no
Bohemian Waxwings.

I drove out Elk Mt Rd to the ranch with a big hay stack and lots of
equipment in the weeds. 45.469780,-117.206982. There I found 45 House
Sparrows, 10 each of White-crowned and AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS, and 1 HARRIS’
SPARROW near a blue pick-up. On the way I also saw the Ferruginous Hawk
again.

The trip home had slushy roads over the Blue Mts, clear in the Columbia
Basin, and (surprise) rain in the Gorge.

Merry Christmas,

Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!