Date: 12/24/18 1:50 pm
From: Leslie Borns <cakile...>
Subject: [wisb] Piping Plover in Chicago, Illinois
DearWisbirders,

Ifyour holiday travels take you south, you may stop in Chicago and find arare Piping Plover, a state and federally endangered shorebird species that continuesat Montrose Beach and Dunes, Chicago’s largest public beach.  The plover returned to Chicago two days ago aftera brief stint at the Indiana Dunes (see attached). The unbanded bird, dubbed “little champ” by Montrose regulars, isfeeding and finding cover on the main beach and the 13-acre restored dune habitat,an Illinois Natural Areas Inventory site managed by volunteers and the ChicagoPark District.

Our CBC is tomorrow and for sure, birders never expected Piping Plover on it.  It would be one of many records this bird is making.

All best in 2019,

/LeslieBorns

Chicago,Illinois