Date: 12/24/18 12:19 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden & Three Quick Stops Monday 12-14-18
Hello Bird People,

Pretty cold at the start but it warmed up a little later on. There is
now open water at several of the ponds but the Northern Lake remains
mostly frozen. So I found 6 species of ducks which is more than I
usually get in the Winter. Both the Winter Coot & the Redpoll flock
were found again after not finding them last week. An adult BALD EAGLE
flew by going north as I drove in which is my 1st Bald Eagle sighting
here since Summer. Here's my list:

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:30-11 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (3, at 3 different locations)
Canada Geese (groups of 7 & 5)
Mallard (12, scattered)
Gadwall (1-M & 2-F at the B.Brown Pond)
Goldeneye (1-M & 3-F)
Hooded Merganser (2-PR south of Evening Island & 1-PR by the RT 68 bridge)
Red Breasted Merganser (1-M at the B.Brown Pond)
Common Merganser (1-M by the RT 68 bridge)
BALD EAGLE (1-AD flying by going north)
Ring Billed Gull (1-AD on the ice at the mud flats)
Herring Gull (1-AD flying by)
WINTER COOT (1, by the RT 68 bridge, it's usual place)
Rock Pigeon (6 flying by)
Mourning Dove (1, McDonald Woods)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (H-1, McDonald Woods)
Downy Woodpecker (1)
Blue Jay (2)
Crow (1 or 2 heard only at a distance)
Chickadee (4)
Robins (19, by the red berry trees)
CEDAR WAXWING ( groups of 1 & 6, by the red berry trees)
Starling (4)
Cardinal (1-M & 2-F)
Junco (4)
PINE SISKIN (10-12 again in the Alders)
COMMON REPOLL (30-35 by the birch trees near the Regenstein Center, N.W. side)
(Later a small group of 4 returned to the same place.)
Goldfinch (6-8)
House Sparrow (4)

Went to lunch in Wheeling so I checked Heritage Park but I only found
Mallards in the little bit of open water & Ring Billed (39) & Herring
(8) Gulls on the ice.

Beck Lake was completely frozen with no birds at all but Big Bend Lake
was completely open
& had Canada Geese (26), Mallards (8), Goldeneye (1-M & Common Merganser (1-F).
A Red Tailed Hawk was resting in a tree & I heard Red Bellied & Downy
Woodpeckers &
one W.B. Nuthatch.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the fly-by Bald Eagle & Runners-Up to the Redpolls,
Siskins & the Coot.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>