Date: 12/23/18 10:52 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Harassing poor eBird programmers (e.g Hood R.R.R)
I received a perfectly reasonable personal comment from an OBOLer:
*As a user of both eBird and Twitter, I hope eBird never allows gifs.
Checking hotspots for species, looking at who has seen what where, I’d
rather not wade thru a sea of animation. Bird Twitter is alive and well and
already “provides” this. *A few additional suggestions followed. In
reply:

A gif is just another form of image compression, as jpg, png, etc. An
animated gif just combines several images into a single 'moving' image.
The nice thing about an animated gif is that it isn't a movie, doesn't take
up much space (smaller file size than some of the full-frame images that
are uploaded), doesn't require a special viewer (all web browsers display
it inherently). In other words, I thought it fit nicely into the 'photo'
attachments so prevalent in eBird. I'm sure it would not take much effort
for the eBird programmers to import this code and it would run simply on
the page along with the 'still photos'. That is, it might be 'moving, but
otherwise there would be no difference from a still photo. Now, some might
find the movement to be distracting, as you suggest. So, based upon your
suggestion, and possible continuing development of eBird, there are
undoubtedly others who feel as you do, and it would be possible for eBird
to have a personal switch setting in an individual's account which
removes some or all images from that person's view so that the person would
only see pure data with no images, as you may advocate for. I'm posting
your comments to OBOL to see if others have an opinion which could cause
some correspondence with eBird programmers, or me simply to (as they say) *If
the horse is dead, dismount.*

Thanks again for your comments and hopefully there will be more.
Bob OBrien

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 10:28 PM Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

> See attached.
> Naturally I tried to include this with the eBird.submission.
> Just as naturally, it wasn't accepted.
> *Crows arguing over their next move.*
> Bob OBrien Carver OR
>
> Takes a little more space, but no more than multiple photos of virtually
> the same image that are often found on eBird
> and it does (or at least can) provide interesting behavioral information.
>
> But I didn't actually email them about this. Enough is enough, for now at
> least. But I'm guessing the would adapt to this.
>
> Bob OBrien

Join us on Facebook!