Date: 12/23/18 7:27 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Hart Mountain CBC results from Dec 19th
Hi all,

Ten volunteers on Wednesday's Hart Mountain CBC were blissfully mostly out of the loop on intractable budget discussions and irresolvable egrets.

Instead we went out in some fine winter weather -- lots of sunshine, mild temperatures and light to moderate breezes. Joelle Fournier picked up an early-morning Barn Owl and logged a feeder count. Pat Grediagin and Jeff Picton hiked Degarmo Canyon from top to bottom. Clay Crofton hiked Rock Creek from Hot Springs Campground down to headquarters. Craig Miller, Jamie Mason and Clarence Story ventured out to Blue Sky. Barbara Dolan, my daughter Martha and I patrolled the Warner Wetlands and hiked a couple of routes on the east side of Hart Lake.

Altogether we found 41 species, plus at least three more for count week. Most birds were down in the Warner Valley where water levels are looking better this winter. Higher up birds were harder to find, though Clay found a flock of American Tree Sparrows along Rock Creek, the Degarmo team picked up lots of robins and solitaires and later a Marsh Wren at Warner Pond, and the Blue Sky team picked up a Bewick's Wren and a Pacific Wren along with more typical birds for this isolated patch of mixed-conifer forest. One oddity this year was a nearly complete lack of finches, except for a lonely House Finch that we found flycatching around the edges of a hay stack.

Here are some provisional tallies:

Canada Goose 23 Hart Lake
Tundra Swan 2 Flagstaff Lake
Green-winged Teal 1 Warner Wetlands
Ring-necked Duck / Scaup sp. 12 Hart Lake (didn't stay still long enough for ID).
Common Merganser 4 Hart Lake
Bald Eagle 2 (1 ad., 1 imm.)
Northern Harrier 9
Red-tailed Hawk 5
Rough-legged Hawk 5
Golden Eagle 4
Greater Sage-Grouse cw
California Gull cw Flagstaff Lake
Herring Gull cw Flagstaff Lake
Eurasian Collared-Dove 5
Barn Owl 1
Great Horned Owl 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 6
American Kestrel 4
Prairie Falcon 1
Horned Lark 1
Steller's Jay 2
Black-billed Magpie 6
Common Raven 11
Mountain Chickadee 24
Bushtit 18 Rock Creek
White-breasted Nuthatch 1 Blue Sky
Pygmy Nuthatch 1 Blue Sky
Brown Creeper 1 Blue Sky
Canyon Wren 2 Degarmo and escarpment above Hart Lake
Bewick's Wren 2 Blue Sky and seep above Hart Lake
Pacific Wren 2 Blue Sky and seep above Hart Lake
Marsh Wren 1 Warner Pond
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1 in old orchard
Townsend's Solitaire 67
American Robin 107
Northern Shrike 3
Loggerhead Shrike 3
shrike sp. 1
European Starling 5
American Tree Sparrow 5 Rock Creek nw. of headquarters
Song Sparrow 11 mainly in Warner Wetlands
White-crowned Sparrow 2 separate birds, both immature.
Oregon Junco 37
Slate-colored/Cassiar Junco 2 females at feeder
House Finch 1 flycatching around a haystack

All in all, a good count.
Joel Geier

P.S. Could someone please forward to COBOL? My regular e-mail isn't fully working and I'm not subscribed from this address.

Join us on Facebook!