Date: 12/23/18 5:43 pm
From: Marc Ribaudo via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] white-winged gull update
I had earlier reported 2 Iceland gulls at Prince William County landfill, seen this afternoon.  After examining photos and getting additional opinions I am pretty certain one of the birds was a glaucous-herring gull hybrid.  It was about the size of a herring gull and very pale, including the wing tips.  What differed from Iceland was a smudgy tan tail (not white) and a large bill that had a fleshy base and dark tip.  The forehead also sloped like a herring rather than an Iceland.  Photos can be seen on ebird, for the Prince William Co. landfill hotspot.
Marc Ribaudo