Date: 12/23/18 3:54 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: White Egret
While we are trotting out Benton Basham (correct spelling) trivia, he almost ran over me with his van while backing out of the driveway at his single-wide trailer in the back of the "tropical zone" at Estero Llano Grande State Park near Weslaco, Texas. If not for Shawneen and Mike Freiberg yelling at me to look out, he would have almost certainly hit me. His f
unky little trailer, where he spends part of each winter, is one of just the few remaining "residences" that were grandfathered in when the state park was formed several years ago. The front part of the park was formerly a private trailer park/RV park with lots of exotic tropical plants and citrus trees (hence the tropical zone nickname). As residents have died off or moved out their mobile homes are removed with only the concrete pads remaining. There are a couple RV spots at the front of the park used by seasonal park hosts, but otherwise I think Benton's place and one other residence are the only two remaining.

If you ever go to the Rio Grande Valley, this park and in particular its Tropical Zone are "must visit."

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR