Date: 12/23/18 9:39 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Moldycoma Marsh - Coos Bay
The Harris's Sparrow still at seed along with Swamp and the other usuals. C
Yellowthroat calling nearby at pond.

Along north dike the tide was right and a nice shorebird flock was feeding
right below me. 300-400 Dunlin, 45 BB Plover, 24 Western Sands and only 3
Leasties. Good year for Westerns here- John Sullivan found a flock of like
39 in the Coos count. I know some of the older Coos Bay CBCs show thousands
for Westerns. Not sure how many other CBCs did the same in the 70s and 80s
before folks figured out how rare they are in winter. Would be interesting
to check that out? It would artificially make it sound like numbers of
Westerns have dropped precariously in the last 30+ years during winter in
OR?

Tim R
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!