Date: 12/23/18 7:35 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Port Orford CBC results 12/22/2018 + RED FOX SPARROW
For all those for whom the eyes glaze over when the conversation enters the
subspecies zone--all major Fox Sparrow subspecies groups occur annually in
Oregon, two of them breed here(Thick-billed, Sooty). They are easily told
appart visually. Any dorsal or profile view in Courtney's photos make it
obvious why the super species bears the name "fox", a question thousands of
birders have surely pondered if they put it on their life list via "Sooty".
I've only seen one other Red("true?")Fox Sparrow, and chased two more.
My first was also at a Rodenkirk seed patch(Millicoma) and not found by
Tim, but Ann and Dan Heyerly who had the good sense to come down to Coos
Bay a full day early for that count. The calender was kind to compilers
this year, allowing seperate weekends for Oregon's big three, the counts
that have had 150 species or better. As Tim pointed out, Port Orford could
hit that mark as well given slightly more talent in the field on count day.
Port Orford also got it's own weekend this year. Nobody saw a Gadwall on
count day, nobody heard a Bushtit. You dear reader could have been the
innocent observer that tipped the scales and set a new record species count
of 147.
What is my biggest regret about yesterday? That my team dipped on
Bewick's Wren? Or that we also dipped on White-throated Sparrow? No, it's
surely that once the Red was relocated and Courtney began photographing it,
l availed myself of a long abandoned stretch of Hwy 101 to maintain
hydration equilibrium that heavy coffee consumption so often challenges.
At this point the Red Fox vocalized. Hearing is more real than seeing. Of
course there is Xenocanto, but live music is supposed to be best.
Especially when heard at a Red Church pop up.lpn

On Dec 23, 2018 6:28 AM, "Tim Rodenkirk" <timrodenkirk...> wrote:

I had a hand in that one- I had been putting seed down for about the last
month in what I thought was a good location on the south end of Langlois- I
haven’t had time to actually bird it- glad the seeding paid off! Got us a
Harris’s Sparrow on the Coos count too.

They have been talking about split the fox sparrows for yrs- maybe in 2019?

Tim

Join us on Facebook!