Date: 12/23/18 6:10 am
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Flock of Flickers
Flickers are part of my regulars but it was great to see six of them in
the space of  a square yard milling around the suet cake, two on the
basket and the others below picking up the crumbs.   A pair of Hairy
Woodpeckers has also been a nice addition.

A few days ago two male Pileated Woodpeckers were sparring on the walnut
tree trunk.  At one point they were facing each other, "fencing" with
their bills.  Guess it is some sort of territorial behavior but does not
seem aggressive.  Earlier this week and this morning they were both
going up, down and around a tree.  You can't miss them even from a
distance with those flashy colors, that red crest looking like a tiny
Santa hat.  They look especially vibrant against the muted winter
colors.  Years ago they were rare in my yard but that has changed.
Yesterday when I went out the back door to get a dish the female
Pileated stayed on the suet cake no more than 12 feet from me.  It's
nice that they are so used to me.  I'd taken the feeder in last night
and when I hung it back out this morning the Brown Creeper stayed on the
tree which surprised me.  Such a sweet little bird.

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town, WV

Join us on Facebook!