Date: 12/22/18 7:49 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] The next skirmish: eBird vs. Raptor Routes?
Don't know whether the previous eBird vs. CBCs "battle" was resolved, or a
truce was declared.
But, here is another one, as described in the subject line.

Trying to get my nerdy, grade-school, grand kids interested in birding
(that's when I started)
I signed them for their own eBird account. Also along was, my
(computer-savy) son my wife and myself for the Hood River Raptor Route.
We did our first Dec 15 and I tried to upload it to eBird. See attached
image.

Thanks to Jeff Fleisher who signed us up for this route (perhaps to his now
regret?)

But, eBird would not publish it 'publicly' whatever that means because the
mileage was too long and not specific enough for
locations. It seems that their setup of eBird did not recognize Raptor
Routes as an eBird possibility.

Here it is, but I doubt you will be able to access it.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50877154

I sent eBird the following email and am waiting to see what they suggest:
In general I have found them to be amazingly congenial
and cooperative (& sophisticated). Have any other OBOLers tried to enter a
Raptor Route into eBird?

*There has been a somewhat heated discussion in Oregon of late about CBCs
vs. eBird for scientific & other value. It was pointed out that an
individual could enter their sightings into eBird as well. But, I am now
experiencing difficulty with entering Raptor Route data into eBird because
of the distance involved. This data is clearly valuable to science because
the same exact routes are specified over many years. I tried lying about
the route length to get this survey made public but with no success. Seems
like this could initially be solved just by allowing public display of such
a Raptor Route. Longer term more sophisticated methods could be used. For
instance, I have included a detailed Google Route map jpg under the dummy
species 'domestic goose' *
*This route is also available at
**https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29047403?beta=false
<https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29047403?beta=false>*

*What do you say/think?*

*Bob OBrien Portland OR <baro...> <baro...>*
*Submission appears to be https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50877154
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50877154>*

*PS I should have mentioned to them that this raptor route at least (my
first) does retain detailed information for the route segments and species
therein that I presume is stored somewhere should someone wish to access it
in future. *
PPS This year's route was a bummer, tied for lowest ever with 10 raptors
and I don't mean species. Nevertheless it had have some very nice
occurrences, which you may eventually be able to see? My grandson scored
his 'most-wanted' Kestrel as our first raptor which he identified himself
from previous field guide images. My granddaughter's most wanted Snowy
Owl, no so much.

Join us on Facebook!