Date: 12/22/18 3:36 pm
From: DAVID PATICK <patick...>
Subject: Canaan Valley birding
Josh Holland, Mike Griffith, Gary Rankin and I left Huntington at 5 am today to do some birding in Canaan Valley with the major target bird being the Evening Grosbeak. It was chilly with the temperature around 28 and snow showers with west winds at 20 mph and gusts higher at times. As we turned of Rte. 32 to Cortland, we were immediately greeted by a total of 50 Evening Grosbeaks feeding on sumac berries-please see link to pics. I have not seen Evening Grosbeaks since January 5,2008, which were also found off Cortland Rd. Other birds seen were:

Rough-legged Hawk-2

Kestrel-1

Red-tailed Hawk-1

Bald Eagle-1 adult