Date: 12/22/18 3:11 pm
From: Leslie Borns <cakile...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Piping Plover is back

Dear Ilbirders,
In an incredible twist to an already unlikely story, the Piping Plover is back at Montrose Beach and Dunes.  Two birders reported it this morning feeding on the algae mat at the shoreline.  This is presumably the same bird that was here from October 15 - December 9, and observed on December 15 at the Indiana Dunes Beach.

Recently there has been more offleash dog traffic on the beach now that the holidays are underway.  If you are there and observe offleash dogs on the main beach or inside the dune habitat, we appreciate your help monitoring the plover and calling 911 and Park District Security (312-747-2193) to report violations of the ordinance.

Meanwhile, we're waiting to hear from IDNR and USFWS as to next steps.  The forecast is for relatively mild weather and no major storms before midweek, so it's possible the plover may stay around.
Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Leslie BornsChicago/Cook

Join us on Facebook!