Date: 12/22/18 1:52 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach & Harbor, North Point Marina, Van Patton & Idependence Grove Sat 12-22-18
Hello Bird People,

Today I covered Waukegan Beach & Harbor with Bob Erickson & Bob
Hughes, North Point Marina & Van Patton Woods with just Bob Erickson &
then did Independence Grove by myself. Highlights were 2 WHITE WINGED
SCOTERS (previously 1) at North Point Marina & a possible CALIFORNIA
GULL? also at North Point Marina. Here's my lists:

Waukegan Beach & Harbor (7:30-8:30 a.m.)

Again not much here with the only ducks being Mallards, Buffleheads,
Common Goldeneye & Red Breasted Mergansers. The only Gulls were Ring
Billed & Herring. There has not been many species here for about 2
weeks now.

North Point Marina (9:10-10:15 a.m.

There were 17 Canada Geese on the lawns & the ducks were Redhead
(1-M), Greater Scaup (6), WHITE WINGED SCOTER (now 2), Bufflehead (6),
Goldeneye (1-M), Red Breasted Merganser
(4 in the lake) & Common Merganser (1-F). All the ducks except the
R.B. Mergs were within the harbor.

Finally some gulls in the harbor after 2 weeks of zero gulls.There
were about 250 Herring Gulls & I did not find a single Ring Billed
Gull although there were probably a few. But the most interesting gull
was a possible CALIFORNIA GULL. It was with 5 other gulls in the water
near the boat docks where all the other gulls were. It had a darker
mantle than the Herring Gulls but far from as dark as a Lesser Black
Backed Gull. And this was NOT a lighting thing as all the gulls in the
group were facing the same way. And it was the only gull of the 6 that
had a dark eye whereas the rest clearly had light eyes. Also the bill
had the red mark on the lower mandible with a black mark at the tip.
The head was streaked dark brown. All these things favor it being a
California Gull.

But it was not looking like a smaller gull as it was bigger than 2 of
the Herring Gulls & smaller than the other 3. Also I think the head is
supposed to be more rounded & I didn't notice that. So although there
were more traits in favor of it being a California Gull the size &
head shape are against it. I viewed it for about 10 min & then it flew
off probably to the local dump. Looked later but did not find it. But
if you are at North Point you should look for this guy & if you see it
you can make up your own mind as to if it is indeed a California Gull.

Bob E & myself then went to Van Patton Woods but found few birds & no
Finches which is what we wanted. By Sterling Lake I saw a flying Red
Tailed Hawk & a male Kestrel in a tree.

At Independence Grove besides many Canada Geese there were 34
Goldeneye, 5 Hooded Mergansers, 4 Common Mergansers & 1 adult Herring
Gull. The only land bird was 1 Red Bellied Woodpecker by the parking
lot.

Bob E wants the Sharp Shinned Hawk to be his Bird-Of The Day as at
least he is sure of the I.D. but I will go with the possible
California Gulls as even if I'm wrong & it's not it was by far the
most interesting bird seen today.
Runner-Up to the 2 White Winged Scoters.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: