Date: 12/21/18 6:06 pm
From: Christian Walker <christian.walker...>
Subject: [texbirds] Travis county Purple Finch and hybrid towhee
Hi there,

I stopped by Great Hills Park in northern Travis County this morning and finally got my Travis county Purple Finch! This was one of my main goals this winter with the influx of PUFI into the south. It was flying overhead; I was able to hear its flight call.
I also had a very interesting female towhee that appears to be a hybrid Spotted x Eastern. See more details below in the eBird checklist. This bird was at the bottom of the hill just east of Floral Park Rd where it crosses the park.

Great Hills Park, Austin, Travis, Texas, US
Dec 21, 2018 7:18 AM - 7:48 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.235 mile(s)
Comments: Clear, calm, around 35°.
21 species (+1 other taxa)

White-winged Dove 4
Eastern Screech-Owl 1 Heard only, responding to whistle
Eastern Phoebe 2
Carolina Chickadee 2
House Wren 1
Carolina Wren 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Hermit Thrush 1
American Robin 3
Northern Mockingbird 1
Cedar Waxwing 45
House Finch 4
Purple Finch 1 HO flyover distinctive ‘pit’ call
Pine Siskin 1
Lesser Goldfinch 1
American Goldfinch 5
White-throated Sparrow 9
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Spotted Towhee 2
Spotted x Eastern Towhee (hybrid) 1 Female. I thought it was a female eastern at first, because the left side had almost no white in the wing, except some spots on the tertials and the upper parts and head were a rich brown. Note there was not a white base to the primaries on this side. However, the mantle had faint streaking and when she turned and I saw the other side of her body on the right the wing had some spotting on the scapulars and greater coverts and a faint white check at the base of the primaries - not as large as it would be on EATO. Did not notice the iris color. Very weird bird especially with the asymmetrical feather pattern on the wings. Did not call. With a SPTO pair responding to EASO whistle.
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 1
Northern Cardinal 12
Christian Walker
Independent Adjuster