Date: 12/21/18 5:29 pm
From: David Ely <mountainplover...>
Subject: [cobirds] Slaty-backed gulls and other gulls at Larimer Landfill today.
Cobirders,

Many of us stood vigil hoping for the gyrfalcon to make an appearance this
morning at the Larimer County Landfill (no luck on that front for our
group). The gulling was a quite good alternative from 8-11AM when Matt
Hofeditz, David Leatherman, and I where there. We were able to see the
continuing first winter glaucous gull and glaucous-winged gull from Trilby
Road in very good light and still air. We also noted many Iceland
(Thayer's) gulls and lesser black-backed gulls among the numerous ringers
and herring gulls. We also saw a 1st winter great black-backed gull and
what I chalked up, at the time, to be a near adult great black-backed
gull. The later bird was observed both on the ground for a short period of
time and then flying. At the time I initially thought that the bird sure
looked like a slaty-backed gull. I admit that I sort of lost my train of
thought on this bird as I detected the glaucous-winged gull in the same
field of view and re-directed my attention to it. When I arrived home I
touched base with others who believed they had seen a slaty-backed gull in
the same plumage and matching the description of the bird we saw this
morning. They had seen this bird 3 days ago. We concluded that this very,
very likely an adult or near adult slaty-backed gull. I have copied my
checklist below in which there are additional details.
I can try to provide more information later or upon request. I'm sure
everyone is hustling ahead of Christmas like I am and I wanted to get the
word out.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50849827

David Ely
Broomfield, CO