Date: 12/21/18 1:33 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] St. Marks NWR, govt shutdown, open through weekend
I received an email from the refuge manager, Terry Peacock, which stated that if there's a government shutdown, the REFUGE WILL REMAIN OPEN THROUGH THE WEEKEND. The flamingo shuttles for 10 am and 1 pm on Sunday will run as planned (if there's no flamingo, they will be 2 hour birding tours to Stony Bayou #2). Below is a posting the refuge put on Facebook with more details:

If a budget is not passed by midnight Friday night, the Visitor Center and other restrooms will remain open through the weekend. The Division of Budget has developed a contingency plan that indicates that we have enough remaining funds to continue operations as normal over the weekend. The majority of the staff except weekend rangers, law enforcement and the refuge manager will be on unpaid furlough beginning on Wednesday. Refuge management and Law enforcement will be working without pay for the duration of the closure. The refuge lands will remain open for the duration of the shutdown.

The toll booth will be operational during the shutdown since those employees are not paid out of appropriated funds. If you plan to visit the refuge during the shutdown period, be aware that the buildings will be closed and there will be no restrooms or drinking water available. We also recommend that you have some cash because the toll booth operators will not be able to take credit or debit cards.

Hope this is helpful, Matt

Join us on Facebook!