Date: 12/20/18 5:36 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: White egret -Lane County
The idea of it being an Intermediate Egret should not seem extremely remote. Please see the following link to an article in Western Birds regarding the Alaskan (Aleutian) record (which was likely collected).

The article also references an old British Columbia record of “unknown provenance”. That language to me implies that there as no reason to think it did not get to BC on its own, but that someone was applying a very conservative opinion on its provenance. It is usually impossible to prove that a vagrant arrived at a location without human assistance, but occasionally it can be proven that human assistance was a factor in the bird arriving at a specific location.

The photos seem to show a rather delicate egret, with a thin straight bill, and the somewhat shaggy crown is interesting as well.

Jeff Gilligan

> On Dec 20, 2018, at 3:19 PM, Sally Hill <1sallyhill.9...> wrote:
>
> I ventured out to Washburn Lane west of Junction City this morning. Weather conditions were not great but I managed to get some photos of the bird in an upright posture.
>
> Here is link:https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50827214?share=true <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50827214?share=true>
>

> Sally Hill
> Eugene Oregon

Join us on Facebook!