Date: 12/20/18 4:43 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Winter Thrushes
Well, so far this winter, only a single Varied Thrush daily at the feeder.
But more may show following higher elevation snow
as Lars mentions. The last time this was reported on OBOL there was a huge
conifer seed crop and there was speculation that they were still
at higher elevation feeding upon conifer seeds that had dispersed to the
ground. Just speculation but 'normal' numbers did later show up.
Considerable Robins around. About 6 weeks ago we had a loose flock of
'stealth Robins" pass through for a few days.
You never saw or heard them. They were feeding cryptically on a dense
berry laden tree but were quiet and unassuming. If you walked past
the tree they would flush silently, horizontally into the nearest cover. I
decided they were from far away from an area with few if any humans.
Just a wild guess. They're gone now and the usual small complement of
'normal' robins are around. Bob OBrien

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 4:31 PM Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
wrote:

> I have been counting up to 9 VATH at my feeder in Manning. This number has
> been reached before, but never surpassed. It usually coincides with low
> elevation snow. Obviously not the case this far into the dark season. I
> only got one Hermit on my sector of Coos CBC, which is surely below
> average. Weather was poor, but my passerine effort was at an all time high
> for that count. Lars
>

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018, 4:23 PM Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> There has been a noticeable lack of thrushes in my yard, immediate
>> neighborhood and Mt. Tabor park in Portland. At least that is what I have
>> experienced. My yard has a bumper crop of berries on the Evergreen
>> Huckleberries, Highbush Cranberries and Mountain Ash yet I have only seen
>> Varied Thrushes in my yard twice this winter for just a couple of days and
>> no Hermit Thrushes at all. Typically there are one to several Varied
>> Thrushes wintering in our immediate area and frequently they are on the
>> ground picking seeds at the seed feeders. There also are typically one or
>> two Hermits, as well. In my walks in Mt. Tabor Park I have heard Varieds
>> once and no Hermits, which is atypical. Is it just me or have others
>> experienced this? Is the winter not severe enough in the mountains that
>> Varieds have not yet moved down in numbers?
>>
>> Good birding, Gerard
>>
>> Gerard Lillie
>> Portland, OR

Join us on Facebook!