Date: 12/20/18 4:31 pm
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Winter Thrushes
I have been counting up to 9 VATH at my feeder in Manning. This number has
been reached before, but never surpassed. It usually coincides with low
elevation snow. Obviously not the case this far into the dark season. I
only got one Hermit on my sector of Coos CBC, which is surely below
average. Weather was poor, but my passerine effort was at an all time high
for that count. Lars

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018, 4:23 PM Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie...> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> There has been a noticeable lack of thrushes in my yard, immediate
> neighborhood and Mt. Tabor park in Portland. At least that is what I have
> experienced. My yard has a bumper crop of berries on the Evergreen
> Huckleberries, Highbush Cranberries and Mountain Ash yet I have only seen
> Varied Thrushes in my yard twice this winter for just a couple of days and
> no Hermit Thrushes at all. Typically there are one to several Varied
> Thrushes wintering in our immediate area and frequently they are on the
> ground picking seeds at the seed feeders. There also are typically one or
> two Hermits, as well. In my walks in Mt. Tabor Park I have heard Varieds
> once and no Hermits, which is atypical. Is it just me or have others
> experienced this? Is the winter not severe enough in the mountains that
> Varieds have not yet moved down in numbers?
>
> Good birding, Gerard
>
> Gerard Lillie
> Portland, OR

Join us on Facebook!