Date: 12/20/18 9:20 am
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Cattle Egret / Intermediate Egret

> On Dec 17, 2018, at 2:50 PM, Eric Carlson <carl8630...> wrote:
>
> I have photos of the slightly smaller looking Great Egret on my ebird checklist if anyone is interested in looking at them.
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50700675 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50700675>
>
> Bird up,
>
> ERIC

See:

https://ebonph.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/ask-the-experts-2/ <https://ebonph.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/ask-the-experts-2/>

Hello Eric and all:

A very seasoned Asian birding expert sent me an email suggesting that the bird looks right for an Intermediate Egret. I can’t be sure if there is or isn’t a dark tip to the bill into photos. As Dave Irons wrote, Intermediate Egrets usually have a dark tipped bill, but apparently not always.

I hope someone gets sharper photos. I also hope no one does, because if it is an Intermediate Egret, I don’t want to fly back to Oregon from Tucson for it (like I have for two other birds in past years).

Great Egrets do of course vary in size based on sex, and somewhat so by individual.

Jeff Gilligan

Join us on Facebook!