Date: 12/18/18 5:49 pm
From: Tim Johnson <tim.the.fisherman...>
Subject: [obol] Salem Christmas Bird Count Preliminary Results
Hi all,

The 56th Salem Christmas Bird Count took place on Saturday, December 15.
Results from feeder counters were still coming in, so the count results are
not yet complete. Preliminary results include the following highlights.

110 species were reported by 73 participants on 27 field teams. 110 species
is an unusually high count for our circle. This number is well above the
past 20 year average of 103 species. Over the past 20 years, there have
been only 3 years that the species count was equal to or greater than 110.
There is at least one additional species that is not included in this
count. However, we need to do a little more follow up to confirm the
sighting (a chipping sparrow). Also, we may learn about additional species
from the 75+ feeder forms that were distributed for this year’s count.

The weather was very cooperative on Count day, surrounded by rainy days.
While the air temperature was chilly, 38-50 degrees, we had no measurable
rain and little wind, about as good as one can expect for a December day in
Salem.

There were several uncommon species reported:

- Swamp Sparrow (1) – seen off of Homestead Rd by Roy Gerig’s team. In 8
previous years, Swamp Sparrows have been found on the Salem CBC but none in
the past 26 years.

- Black Phoebe (3) – seen off of Brown Island Rd, again by Roy Gerig’s
team. This is only the second year in which we have found a Black Phoebe
for the Salem CBC. To find 3 of them is certainly extraordinary.

- Brant (1) – seen near ShopKo off of Landcaster Ave. by Ray and
Stephanie’s team. This small goose is rarely found in Salem and has never
been seen before on a Salem CBC.

- Lesser Yellowlegs (3) -- seen at Willow Lake Water Treatment Facility
north of Keizer by Rich Ford's team. Lesser Yellowlegs are a fairly rare
occurrence in Oregon this time of year. This will be the third year that
Lesser Yellowlegs have been seen on a Salem Christmas Bird Count, most
recently only 3 years ago.

That's all for now.

Tim Johnson, co-compiler
Salem Christmas Bird Count