Date: 12/17/18 8:15 pm
From: Ben S <benrmnp...>
Subject: [cobirds] Hawk sp (possible Harris's?) Big Stratton Reservoir, Colorado Springs
Hi all,

First to be clear, I DID NOT see this bird. Someone had seen this hawk and
posted it on the Colorado Field Ornithologists Facebook page, asking for
the ID. I happened to see the post and thought it looked possibly like a
Harris's Hawk. They had seen it at Big Stratton Reservoir, in Colorado
Springs. The bird is clearly a slender, mostly black buteo-type Hawk. The
yellow bill, rufous on chest, and white on tail had me thinking it is a
possible Harris's Hawk. The only other bird I can think of is dark morph
Red-tail. The photo was taken with a cell phone. If it looks plausible for
a Harris's, it may be worthwhile for one of you CO Springs birders to check
it out. If it does turn out to be a Red-tailed Hawk, I apologize for the
false alarm. What do you all think about the ID?

[image: hawk seen at big stratton reservoir - Edited (2).jpg]

Ben Sampson,
Centennial, CO