Date: 12/17/18 12:05 pm
From: Stephen Holzman <steveholzman2...>
Subject: [obol] Siletz Bay NWR - eBird Hotspots
A few months ago, eBird rolled out an "Explore U.S. National Wildlife
Refuge" tool. https://ebird.org/explore
They used the USFWS ownership layer to combine data from hotspots AND
personal checklists to produce this data summary tool. In some cases,
hotspots intended to
capture refuge data were located just outside of established boundaries and
were not captured by the tool. We are working to fix that. This also
presented an opportunity to re-evaluate some refuge hotspots.

Working with Jack Hurt, eBird, and refuge staff we have created 3
additional eBird hotspots for data collected on the Siletz Bay NWR. These
additional hotspots will help us evaluate visitor use and bird activity
with increased detail.
To see where these hotspots are just click the links below and then click
"Get Directions".

1) There is one for the Alder Island unit accessed from the Hwy 101. When
you bird this trail, and its parking lot please use the hotspot called
"Siletz Bay NWR--Alder Island. *https://ebird.org/hotspot/L8214775
<https://ebird.org/hotspot/L8214775>*

2) The Refuge can be birded from several pullouts on Immonen Rd, and can be
birded safely by foot or car along Milport Slough Rd up to the Slough
bridge. Use the hotspot called Siletz Bay NWR--Milport Slough Rd.
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L8249367

3) There are several Refuge units visible from Hwy101, but pull outs are
minimal. The Refuge can also be viewed by walking along Drift Creek Rd off
Hwy101. For this area use the hotspot called Siletz Bay--Hwy 101.
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L8249365

Do you have personal checklists that you know better fall into one of these
hotspots? You can move your checklist to the appropriate hotspot by using
edit my location on your checklists. If your checklist encompasses more
than one of these new hotspots continue to use the generic Siletz Bay NWR
hotspot: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L159599

As these are new hotspots you have a great opportunity for your photos to
be featured on the "Illustrated Checklist" tab on the hotspot
details page. ;-)

If you have any questions you can email me directly. Thanks and Good
Birding!

The attached screenshots may help to determine which areas are covered by
which hotspots. The refuge boundaries are in blue.

Steve Holzman
USFWS
Newport, OR

Join us on Facebook!