Date: 12/17/18 10:37 am
From: Christian Walker <christian.walker...>
Subject: [texbirds] SW Hill Country birding over the weekend - Townsend's Solitaire, Hutton's Vireos, LeConte's Sparrows
Hi there,

Austin and I had a great birding/camping weekend in the sw Hill Country. Highlights were a Townsend’s Solitaire and a Hutton’s Vireo on Hackberry Road in Real County on saturday, some ducks at the pond at the start of this road including Northern Pintail, LeConte’s Sparrows in Kinney and Uvalde counties (just killer looks at the Kinney Co bird at Kickapoo Caverns SP). Fort Clark Springs in Bracketville was beautiful, and we had Green Kingfisher and Black Phoebe in the same scope view here.
Also birded Cook’s Slough in Uvalde with lots of birds, nothing super crazy though. Had a Hutton’s Vireo out of habitat on CR 400 north of Uvalde on Sunday, which was cool.
Driving back home on Sunday had a Great Horned Owl perched on a roadkill hog in the middle of the afternoon heading north from Sabinal. We also fortuitously had Lark Sparrows here, the 17th sparrow species of the weekend.
No obvious sparrow species missed, except maybe Lark Bunting. Could not come up with a White-throated Sparrow or Clay-colored Sparrow anywhere. Sparrow highlights were definitely the LeConte’s, but good looks at Grasshopper and Black-throated Sparrows were nice, as well as a pair of Canyon Towhees at Kickapoo.

Good birding,
Christian Walker
Independent Adjuster
Irving, Texas